From Normandy, Moravia and Egypt; to name a few
- the built heritage of Spen Valley
Buildings tell us a great deal about how people lived - and made their living - in Spen
Valley up to 1,000 years ago. Here are Spen Valley's Listed buildings.
St. Paul's Church
This is one of the last "Million Act" Churches. Government grants were given to build churches where the population was rising fast: 1830.
483 Bradford Road -the old vicarage.
Manor House; Moorhouses Lane. C17th.
Final Royd, Old lane. Late C18th.
Manor House; No.55 Station Lane. Late C18th.
Probably built in 1583 for John Batt, but has a timber frame from the mid C15th. For
many years it was the grandest house around. Charlotte Bronte visited Oakwell and called it Fieldhead in "Shirley". A museum now and country park.
Ridings Hall (or Rydings)
Early C19th, but with parts dating a century earlier. Was home to Ellen Nussey,
Charlotte Bronte's friend. Cast as "Thornfield" in "Jane Eyre".Now within leyland Paint works site.
Fine mullion-windowed hall and date stone saying "FTM 1700". Said to have its original staircase.
Built by the Anglican inspired National Society. A plaque says Built in 1818 by William Charlesworth.
Joseph Priestley's Statue
A bronze statue dated 1912 recording Birstall's most famous son. Radical thinker and discoverer of oxygen. In cobbled market place.
St. Peter's Church
Once the centre of a parish that included Spen Valley, the Church has a tower which
is early Norman. The Victorians rebuilt parts in a Gothic style. The tombs of John Nelson and Ellen Nussey are here.
St. John's Church.
Built in 1846 to replace the original (1750) chapel. In the grounds is the study of
John Nelson, pioneer of Methodism. There is a sun dial too.
Parts of the pub hark to the C17th - Some features survive in the back wall of the Inn. A first floor court room retains its original panelling.
Built about 1790 by Jonas Yates who went bankrupt soon after. Called the Nags Head
then It was a coaching inn on the main turnpike road thro' the town. Troops were billeted there during the Luddites troubles. Spoiled internally.
War Memorial, in Edward VII Memorial park, Greenside. 1922
Midland Bank - 1890
Old Post Office - Albion Street, around 1910
Another "Million Act" Church, built 1830/1 on land given by the Bretton Hall Beaumont family The lack of funds shows in the simple style.
Brooke St. warehouse
The origins of this building are uncertain, though it existed in 1802. Through the early 1800s it was used by the Williamsons
Old Robin Mill
Probably the oldest surviving mill in the town. Powered by Blacup Beck by means of a
large dam and maybe a pumping engine to recycle the water.
Designed by the Saltaire architects - Mawson and Walton, this chapel opened in 1859. The congregation
were the descendants of those secret non-conformists who met at
Egypt Farm in Cliffe Lane in the C17th. High quality restoration. Now an indian restaurant.
Spen Bottoms Viaduct
A large dam fed water to a corn mill of which little remains but may date back to
medieval times. 100 years ago starch was manufactured. The dam is spanned by a
viaduct built 1896 to convey people and goods to Spen railway station opened in
1890. Now an informal park.
This daughter chapel to St. Peters of Birstall dates to medieval times. People could
be baptised or buried without great travelling The Church now owes most to C19th.
Town Hall, Cleckheaton
Erected 1890-92 at a cost of £13,900 to mark Queen Victoria's Jubilee Restored by the council.
Wellands farm - no 50 Moorside Late C18th/early C19th.
St.Luke's church, Moorbottom. 1887
Whitcliffe Road cemetery chapel 1853
The oak rails are new but the stone parts are thought to be C18th.
War memorial; circa 1920
A 300 year old house with many alterations. C17th or early C18th. Named after the medieval cross base adjacent. Also listed. Probably medieval.
Manor Farmhouse; no.47 South View Road. Late C18th.
Boundary stone at Westgate Hill; 2010-2955 (?) C17th.
Grove Chapel and Sunday School
Built in1826 on land given by James Burnley as an Independent Chapel. The manse next door was built in 1842.
Oxford Road. No.2 the Bar House circa 1840
Congregational Church; forecourt walls, gates, piers and gates. circa 1825-6
Sigston House 1634
Gomersal Park Hotel (part)
Once Moor Lane House. Ellen Nussey lived and died here in 1897, aged 80
Built as a Mechanics Institute 1851 on the site of three cottages called Ratten Hall.
Used for meetings etc. and a library in the C19th.
Built by the Taylors in 1660, who lived there until 1920. The Taylors finished cloth
there before opening Hunsworth Mills. Charlotte Bronte describes Red House as
"Briarmains" in her novel Shirley. Now a museum & restored coach
West House Early to mid C19th.
Boundary Stone; 100yds south of no.2 Oxford Road
Crowtrees; no 217 Oxford Road. includes pump in rear garden.
Moravian Chapel, Sunday School and & Settlement
Erected in 1751 the church was altered in 1869 but the houses to the side and rear keep their original
style. A day and boarding school for girls ran here in the C18th
and C19th. Includes nos. 177, 179,181 and 183
An exceptionally fine house of 1659 first occupied by the Pollard family. Thomas
Burnley and his forebears ran their worsted spinning business from the hall
before moving to Gomersal Mills around 1850.
The ancient centre of Great Gomersal lay here. Gomersal Hall, the maypole and
pinfold (for stray animals) have gone. Peel House survives 400 yrs.
Though much altered this farm bears the date 1693. It is however thought to have a
much older timber frame.
There is thought to have been a house here for 700 yrs. The hall was rebuilt in 1580
and in mid C19th.
The first non-conformist meetings in Cleckheaton probably were held here in the
1670's; illegal at the time.
Connected with the Moravian School. Built in brick in the mid C18th. Miss Wooller, Charlotte Bronte's governess, lived in the middle house. no.52
Royds Farm barn, Gomersal Lane. C16th and C17th.
Pork Pie Chapel
This local name suits Gomersal Methodist Church. Built in 1827 on land bought for
Church Lane - barn to rear of nos 45 and 47; early C19th
Mazebrook, Drub Lane; nos 1, 2 and 3 early C19th. 4 and 5 built 1654
Ventnor works; office building on Knowles Lane. C17th.
St. Mary's Church; 1850-51
Hill Top House, Spen Lane. Early C19th.
St. Peter's church
The lovely Norman church was almost completely rebuilt in 1881 and now looks like a
Victorian idea of what a Norman church should be. Note the old schoolroom, sundial, (1611) and stocks and mounting block. All listed.
Cottages in Hartshead Lane
A group of possibly C17th cottages with farming and textile connections. No. 119,1745 and no. 120 mid C19th.
Freakfield Lane - boundary stone 450 yds west of jn. with Church Lane.
Parkinhole, Hartshead Hall Lane Late C18th
Ladywell Lane; nos 3 and 5.
Upper Independent Chapel
This grand temple of non-conformity was built in 1890 and is the fourth chapel on
the site. Now apartments.
Central to the old market place is the fountain and clock commemorating the marriage of the Prince of Wales (later Edward V11) in 1863.
A timber house of the C15th was incorporated into this C17th building. The original
frame has been exposed and there's a beautiful C17th plaster ceiling. Joseph Priestley lived here as a boy Now a pub. Splendid restoration.
There is evidence of a building here in 1232 -photographs of a medieval building
taken in 1888 The farm today is mainly C18th and later.
This group of buildings dates from the C17th and C18th. A puritan family called
Cordingley lived here. Part of the farm was used for the weaving of woollen cloth.
Quaker Meeting House
Built in 1699 as a meeting place for the Society of Friends. This house has been much
altered. The graveyard is gone . See next.
Quaker Burial Ground - Hare Park Lane
This elaborately carved stone cross base is estimated to be late Saxon. Its function
and origin are unclear as are the whereabouts of the shaft.
Stocks in Halifax Road
C18th stone posts but missing rails.Adjacent to no. 206
Clough House no. 428
Maria and Patrick Bronte, mother and father of the Bronte sisters, made their first
home here 1812-1815 when Patrick was curate at Hartshead.
Middle Hall no. 276
Stone clad in the C17th, altered in the C18th, but including a medieval frame. A good
example of a group of farm buildings where the domestic woollen trade was likely carried out.
Another C17th building encasing a timber arcade. Built by Thomas Greene; early Quaker meetings took place here before the Friends moved to their own meeting house. Includes nos. 9 and 11 Dickinson Fold.
Halifax Road, nos. 265 and 285. C17th.
This was already an established pub by 1812 when the luddites met here to plan the
Possibly the first day school in Spen Valley. Built in 1818 with funds raised by Rev.
Hammond Roberson, the Mathew Helstone in "Shirley".
St.Barnabas church, Church Street, 1893
Windybank farm barn C17th.
Probably built as a farmhouse, this has been a pub for at least 150 years. It is called
by the family name of the Earls of Scarborough, once Lords of the Manor.
Dated1663. this farm would have been one of the most important in the village.
A weaving and farming settlement whose buildings date back to the C17th. There
were eight cottages and a farmhouse when the estate was sold in 1865.
Littletown, Millbridge and Norristhorpe
An industrial hamlet in the C18th, fame was assured by the Luddite attacks; 1812.
A private Act of Parliament enabled the Rev Hammond Roberson (1812-1816) to plan and pay for a
Built in 1766 by Joseph Bilton the Hall was later lived in by the Rev. Roberson who
ran a boys boarding school there.
Field Head House, Leeds Road.
Spen Valley Carpet Works
The fine office block (circa 1870) of Cooke's Mill where carpets were made from 1795-1980.(right hand part). Owner demolished gatehouse and was prosecuted. Stables demolished around 2005.
The present hall dates from around 1600, though in the Middle Ages this was the
seat of an important family, the Nevilles.
Albion Inn, Knowler Hill. Late C17th/early C18th.
Listing Lane; nos 42 and 44. Late C18th/early C19th.
By all account once a corn mill. It was run for many years by the Batemans.
This is said to be a late C18th market cross. At this time Oakenshaw was a backward
Church of St. Andrew - 1889
no.13 Wyke Lane. Early to mio C19th.
A large C17th farmhouse built by the Greenes of Liversedge, wealthy clothiers. Very sympathetically restored.
Duxbury Hall and cottage;C17th and C18th.
The Star Inn
An important inn on the original Leeds-Hudd. main road. John Booth, a luddite mortally wounded at Rawfolds, died here
Old Yew Tree(or Headlands Hall)
Said to have been built in 1690, though it has an older timber frame. It was a great coaching inn during the C18/C19.
Farmstead of 1638 well preserved.
Much altered farm and barn over 300 years old. Barn in very poor condition.
Church Road - nos 12 and 122, 124 and 124a and barn to 120 - late C18 and early C19th
Toll or Bar House at end of Roberttown Lane. No. 134. Where charges were levied for passing along the Leeds-Manchester turnpike.
Huddersfield Road. Boundary stone opposite no. 272. late C19th.
Headlands Hall; formerly the Yew Tree, coaching inn. 1690.
Wheatsheaf Farm and Cottages
Datestones suggest this group was built in the 1630's though it is possible the stone was cladding for a timber frame.
This group of C18th cottages shows what much of Scholes looked like 200 years ago.
Built by Robert Crosland in 1739 (much altered since) Oldfield Nook had its own steam
powered card clothing mill in 1840. The Croslands became prominent Quakers.
Springfield Terrace; barn adjacent to and west iof the old vicarage
Wheatsheaf farm and barn cottage; nos. 406 and 408 whitechapel Road. 1631 and 1638. Barn adjoining no. 412 C17th.
Kirklees Estate area
Although partly outside Spen Valley these historic locations are of great interest.
John Armitage a clothier of Farnley Tyas acquired the property in 1595 and his family held on until the 1980s. The original house was built from the stone of the priory which Henry VIII had disolved in the 1530s. The hall is now a mixture of styles and converted into apartments. Nearby the medieval priory gatehouse has survived. Not open to the public.
Robin Hood's Grave. If Robin Hood lived here it was in the 11th or 12th century. The headstone is the C18th. It is said he was poisoned by the nuns in the nunnery and he fired an area with his dying strength and the grave is where the arrow landed.
Dumb Steeple at Cooper Bridge. Late C18th.
Boundary Stone; opposite Three Nuns pub. Late C19th.